Thursday 14 October 2010

i do not love justin bieber & this week i have been mostly watching...

First, for the preliminaries. I have long been of the opinion that Twitter is stupid, but tonight I took it upon myself to make an account because I’m a rotten traitor. There was just one problem: I couldn’t. The username ‘spauren’ (a combination of ‘spaz’ and ‘Lauren’ bestowed upon me at the age of 14 or thereabouts) that I habitually use has already been taken. By this person. Needless to say, I'm horrified and would just like to clarify that I do not, I repeat do not have an obsession with Justin Bieber. And that's not me. 

Chris Bates, 100% charisma
In other news, thanks to The Apprentice, I now know that it’s possible for a man to survive a traumatic full-body hair gel immersion and go on to do great things. Charismatic contestant Chris Bates this week shined in his sales role, pitching a glorified beach towel to a series of underwhelmed business types. In fairness, it didn’t help that the towel was hilariously named ‘Cüüli’. Yes, spelt like that. No, really. It’s wreaking absolute havoc with my Spell-check. 

Chris somehow managed to drone, stutter and even sap all the humour out of the charmingly whimsical product concept, which was brimming with potential. Oh my god it’s a rolled up towel?! With a cool box in it for my water bottle?! And it comes in that stylish blue neon-nylon combo, with cute little bonus patronising umlauts? Get out of town! And buy me three while you’re there!

Ill-advised though they may have been, this woeful performance paled in comparison to the all-woman team ‘Apollo’, who richly deserve a resounding chorus of ‘bitches be crazy’. Never has so much hair-tossing and shrieking been witnessed since two days ago on America’s Next Top Model

On a more positive note, Channel Four's Phone Shop is a refreshing and genuinely hilarious piece of comedy, though one wouldn't expect less with Ricky Gervais as script editor. It blends realism, farce, and some wonderfully tragic characters to deliver a fairly authentic (if exaggerated) glimpse into the retail experience. After watching two epidodes I feel faintly ashamed of my sucker 24-month contract now. Oh well, at least I got too much flow for Pay As You Go. 

Phone Shop, C4


2 comments:

  1. hello "spauren", u dont know my secret that i already hav an account on blogspot and read blogs EVERYDAY, so it would be utterly treacherous to not follow you, especially considering some that i do follow....ah hem...
    i once had a blog for all of 12hrs, but then i deleted it ashamed of even entertaining the thought of expressing myself publicly, similarly i hav an account on twitter, to tweet? youve got to be kidding! no its to have my followees (leaders) neatly organised... i actually dnt know wats wrong with me.
    im not convinced bout phone shop yet btw, im only watching it coz some of it was filmed in my friends house!!! they got paid £300 for 3hrs use of their living room in sutton... i thought that was a bit stingy rly considering its channel 4.
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauraaaaa how very ninja of you, keeping this blog habit quiet! I think you should do a blog so that I can follow you in return, and then we can both walk round and round in circles.

    Not convinced?! Yes, it seems like it's not everyone's cup of tea - Vashti said she hated it. I just find it extremely funny for some reason. But you're right, £300 does seem a bit stingy, you'd think they could fork out a bit more. Still, that's a moderately exciting claim to fame, haha. I hope you're having fun in your house far away, by the way!!! xxx

    ReplyDelete